SB’s Organic Garden
One of our favorite projects at Sustainable Bolivia is our Organic Garden. After a long day’s work there is nothing more refreshing than watering plants or picking some fresh herbs.
Since its inception in 2008, Sustainable Bolivia has been dedicated to promoting all aspects of sustainable living, including a healthier way to cultivate and consume our food. We figured that there is no better way to promote personal and environmental health than growing the food that we Eat. We’ve been creative in using spaces and adopting urban gardening techniques that have allowed us to maximize space and efficiency With our garden, we hope to increase our self-sufficiency and decrease dependency on foreign markets, experiment with new techniques, educate volunteers and share our passion for gardening.
At the moment our garden is stocked with:
- Thyme, Basil, Rosemary, Parsley, Calendula, Mint, and other fresh herbs
- Squash, Pumpkin, Zucchini, and Cucumber
- Roma, Beefsteak, and Cherry Tomatoes, Carrots
- Spinach and other lettuces
- Poblano, Bell, Jalapeno, Locoto peppers, New Mexico Green Chile
- Blackberry, Passion Fruit, Mandarins, Grapes, Grapefruit, Apple, and Fig trees
To compliment our gardening efforts, we also compost all of our own fruits and vegetables and practice grey water recycling.
Volunteers always have the opportunity to assist our gardening efforts. Additionally SB frequently receives individuals that have extensive experience in sustainable agriculture to work with us as interns.