Mission & Purpose
Sustainable Bolivia was founded in 2007 in the city of Cochabamba, Bolivia. Since its creation, the organization has received more than 1,000 volunteers from around 50 countries and has raised approximately $ 500,000 to support local projects in Bolivia. The organization has financed 15 scholarships to Bolivian students since 2010 and since 2016 is supporting projects in the Amazon area of the region.
Sustainable Bolivia created its Bolivian sister non profit organization, the Fundacion Amazonia, in 2017, with the objective of supporting community development and environmental protection projects in the Bolivian Amazon, particularly in Riberalta and the Aquicuana municipal reserve located 20 km from the city.
Sustainable Bolivia’s mission is to enact sustainable development and environmental conservation in the Bolivian Amazon by supporting and partnering with community-led initiatives.
Sustainable Bolivia uses a comprehensive approach to environmental conservation poverty alleviation in the Bolivian Amazon. We do this through a three-pronged approach:
1) community ecotourism initiatives to enable local residents to be stewards of the land and its biodiversity;
2) conservation, reforestation and resource-management projects;
3) environmental education and research.
We also place volunteers in mutually rewarding and impactful placements with local NGOs in the nearby city of Riberalta.
- To oversee the protection, reforestation and expansion of the Aquicuana Reserve
- To provide local communities a financial incentive for environmental protection
- To provide communities inside the reserve access to basic services such as clean water, electricity and medical supplies.
- To contribute to the development of Bolivia’s international tourism industry in a socially, fiscally and environmentally sustainable manner
- To promote language revitalization for the native languages: Cavineño, Chacobo and Ese Eja.
- To help protect the cultural and biological diversity of Bolivia.
- To further global awareness of Bolivia
- To provide practical experience for a new generation of social and environmental advocates.
- To provide a space for cross cultural dialog and understanding