Independent Research Residency
Our mission is to promote the research in a little-known region of Bolivia, while fostering intercultural exchange between international and local researchers.
Sustainable Bolivia offers a unique experience in a beautiful, biodiverse and culturally-rich part of the world, whether you want to do your own research; contribute to some of our existing, ongoing research projects; or, contribute your existing skills and learn new ones while volunteering.
While at Sustainable Bolivia, you will have easyily access to the Aquicuana Reserve, and you will meet and work with like-minded people from all over the world, each passionate about their field and with their own experiences and expertise to share.
Independent researchers define and conduct their own research. We welcome research on a wide variety of topics including:
- Biological , biodiversity and environmental research, social aspects of the environmental conservation
- Tourism, ecotourism, community-based tourism
- Native languages
- Indigenous populations/communities
Many independent researchers are under- or post-graduates, and some are professionals pursue a specific research goal.
How it works
Researchers work largely independently on their projects while at Sustainable Bolivia. Our staff is available to assist with planning your research by providing background information and in-depth knowledge of the area and the reserve.
Researchers can work in parallel with one of our volunteer opportunities.
Receiving access to conduct independent research at Sustainable Bolivia includes the following conditions:
- Submit a short proposal of your study within 10 days of arrival.
- Give a presentation to Sustainable Bolivia staff and volunteers on your research near the end of your stay.
- Submit a research report with a detailed methodology section prior to departure.
- Upload a copy of any raw data to the Sustainable Bolivia archives prior to departure.
To apply, please fill and submit the Application Form.
For further questions, please contact us.